Unfortunately the cutter didn’t last very long. We were able to use it for roughing out some styrofoam blocks for the Spoon-a-pult, but then the transformer burned out and took the dimmer with it. I’ve been getting variousadvice on how to improve the power supply including adding a couple of fuses to protect the components.
Currently my fuses are burning out pretty much right away so I think the core problem is my choice of cutting wire. When I built it I just used what I had which was galvanized mechanics wire which has a low resistance and is allowing too much current to flow. I’ve ordered some 20 gauge nichrome wire from McMaster-Carr and am considering adding a rectifier to reduce the circuit voltage and therefore the max power.